Saturday, November 21, 2009

Well, it seemed like a good idea...

I woke up, trying to regain my focus. I had no idea where I was. I soon came to find out that I was in the emergency room at Sutter Hospital, Davis. While my memories of that morning are rather fuzzy, I found out I had had a seizure, which is defined as "the physical findings or changes in behavior that occur after an episode of abnormal electrical activity in the brain," according to the MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia.
It had been a regular night, with me working until 1 a.m. and then going to spend the night at my girlfriend's house, where we promptly fell asleep without any problems. I was informed later that I had began to thrash around and moan. My girlfriend thought I was having a dream, but when she turned on the light, she could see that that was not the case, with my lips turning blue and my tongue hanging out and my body completely stiff. My eyes were also open and completely dilated. She tried to wake me, but with no luck. She called 911, and within ten minutes the paramedics were on scene, along with firefighters and police officers. They were interested in figuring out what was going on, and they asked if I was an alcoholic or a druggie, but all she could say was that I was a good and healthy boy, except that I eat a lot of ice cream, which is very true. They tried to put oxygen on me, but I pushed the mask away. My memory of the event begins at the hospital, with me wondering what the hell was going on. I gave blood and urine samples, and submitted to a Cat scan. I called in my shifts for work and began to wonder just what had happened, and by 6:30 am I was released, with me still attempting to understand what it all meant.

What it all meant was that I could no longer work, drive a car, or ride a bike. It also meant that I had to make an appointment for a neurologist as soon as I could. It also led to an extremely sore jaw, which I had dislocated during the seizure. Since this was just in the last few days, I am still sore, still out of work, and still rather nervous about what it all means. Does it mean that I will not be able to do the job that I love now and in the future, being bus driving and law enforcement? As of now, I have a restriction on my driver's license, effectively holding me back from work and putting me in a rather difficult spot. My family has become terribly worried, as am I. If there is one piece of advice I can give you, my faithful reader, it would be: DO. NOT. HAVE. A. SEIZURE.

Below: My claim to fame, and the early wake-up call, as portrayed in FireDispatch.com:

11/17/2009 3:43:53 AM (24 min)

Davis Fire Department Medical emergency

3 comments:

  1. Wow! That’s some serious stuff, buddy. I would be terrified if I woke up in an emergency room with no recollection of why. I really hope things work out for you and I wish you the best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry! You must be in an extremely tough situation! I am sure that night was extremely scary, and I hope they find out the causes of the seizure so you can return to your normal activities. I wish for you the best and I hope it all works out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, what a night for you! Wish you the best of luck and that everything will turn out okay. It must've been a scary scene for your girlfriend because I remember seeing similar symptoms you describe when my friend was overdose on drug, and it wasn't pretty.

    ReplyDelete